Sunday, May 3, 2009

Week 37 aka. Full Term!

37 week belly. It looks like it's sagging, doesn't it?

Congratulations - your baby is full term! This means that if your baby arrives now, his lungs should be fully mature and ready to adjust to life outside the womb, even though your due date is still three weeks away. Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blondes or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.
(www.babycenter.com)

At week 37, your pregnancy is considered full term, meaning baby is likely to thrive after birth. Baby spends these last weeks in preparation for the outside world... meaning careful refinement of the blink, suck, inhale and exhale. Meconium, which you'll probably find in the first diaper, is accumulating in the intestines. If (okay, as) you worry about giving birth, consider what it's like for the little one. During the journey out of your womb, baby will produce more stress hormones than any other time in life.
(www.thebump.com)


Haha, I have a watermelon in my tummy :) I am so exited to be full term! Man, when we first found out we were pregnant and that we were due in May, it seemed like it was SO far away and it would never get here. I just can't believe how quickly time has flown by. Now I'm torn - I want time to hurry up so I can finally hold Baby, but I also want time to slow down so I can enjoy having Baby safe and sound in my belly.

This was the first weekend Derek and I spent at home, by ourselves, with no plans, in over a month. It was very relaxing :) We went for a walk yesterday morning, installed the car seat base in my car (next we have to do Derek's truck) and spent a few hours by the pool. This time we actually got in the water and I think Baby liked it! I know I did - it was nice to have my belly "float" for a bit, taking the pressure off my body. It's crazy how heavy your belly gets near the end of the pregnancy.

Sad thing: I had to remove my wedding rings :( My hands have been getting so swollen that I decided I'd better take them off before I have to have them CUT off... It was a chore removing them, that's for sure. I sprayed windex all over my finger and pulled and twisted and finally they came off. I did all that on Friday and my finger still looks funny - you can clearly seen the indention (and white skin) where my rings used to sit. I'm bummed I can't wear them, but I plan to put them on a necklace and wear them around my neck. It'll just be for a few weeks, anyway. Yay, a few weeks! AH!!

Another fun bit of news: we have a hanging plant on our patio, and a few weeks ago a pair of purple finches made a nest in there and laid 5 little eggs. Well, those eggs hatched yesterday and now we have little, tiny, baby birds! They are so precious. Their heads are about the size of green peas, their eyes are still closed and their little beaks are open waiting for Momma and Poppa to feed them some food. So cute. We took some photos and videos of them, so I'll post them tomorrow (too late to do it tonight).

That's all for now, it's definitely time for bed. Hope everyone had a restful weekend. Good luck to those who have finals coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment