Monday, February 23, 2009

Week 27. Drum Roll please!

EDIT: This was written last night, but I didn't post it until today :)

My belly!

This week, your baby weighs almost 2 pounds (like a head of cauliflower) and is about 14 1/2 inches long with her legs extended. She's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing her eyes, and perhaps even sucking her fingers. With more brain issue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. While her lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning - with a lot of medical help - if she were to be born now. Chalk up any tiny rhythmic movements you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and they don't bother her, so just relax and enjoy the tickle.
(www.babycenter.com)

Oh my goodness, it's been 27 weeks. It's incredible! You know what else is incredible? How my pregnancy is matching up very closely with the weekly descriptions. Seriously. Derek and I had just woken up Sunday morning when I started feeling small pops every 2 seconds. I thought "Maybe these are the hiccups that my baby book says will happen", so I made Derek put his hand on my belly and we sat there feeling the little movements for about a minute. When I got my weekly BabyCenter later that night for week 27 (see above caption), sure enough it said I could be feeling hiccups from here on out! That's the first time I've felt them, and I can't wait to feel them again.

Besides the hiccups, Baby had a very busy weekend getting its "exercise". Haha! My stomach (and bladder, and cervix, and other internal organs) were getting a ton of kicks, and you could actually see my belly changing shape slightly as Baby pushed in one area versus another. I'm actually watching my belly morph right now - first roundish, then cone-ish.

We finally bought our first big baby item yesterday - our travel system (carseat/stroller)! It's just so exciting, our first major purchase. Next to come is our crib, which we plan to order by next weekend. Speaking of next weekend, Derek and I decided on the spur of the moment to fly up to Reston, VA to visit his parents and sister from Friday-Monday! It actually works out perfectly because his parents are preparing to move down to Florida, so we'll get to sort through Derek's old keepsakes and take home the things he wants to keep. Hopefully we'll find some good items from his childhood (books, toys, etc.) that we could use with Baby! This will be the first time the Zivney side of the family gets to see my belly since Christmas, so just like my family saw last weekend, they're in for a surprise too. :)

Okay, enjoy the belly shot! Hopefully I'll have more fun updates this week. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment