Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Being pregnant

I was in the Geology building this afternoon, hanging up a flyer in the stairwell, when a professor walked by. I smiled at her, continued what I was doing and she started walking up the stairs, stopped, turned around and said with a smile "You must be pregnant!". I laughed and said yes, and we chatted for a bit about kids (she has a toddler-aged son), how it's nice to start a family early, and the fact that grad school is a pretty good time to have kids since it's a little more flexible than a steady job, etc. Anyway, I thought it was funny.

Then later, I was in the restroom with another grad student who I've only seen (never met) and she kept staring at my belly. And I mean STARING. She tried to do it covertly while she was drying her hands, head down, eyes to the side, but I still caught her. It was weird. I guess I just look pregnant today!

Let's see, what else. My doctor's appointment went well on Monday. As I mentioned, I went in for my glucose screening to test for gestational diabetes. The nurse had me drink this... delicious... glucose drink that tasted essentially like flat orange crush, waited an hour and then drew my blood for the test. She said they would have the results the next day, and that no news was good news so this must be good for me! Haven't heard back from them, so that makes me happy :) During the hour I was waiting I had my usual check-up and everything looks great. Baby's heartrate was 155... and that's about it. Baby was very active after I drank the glucose (and for the rest of the day, actually) so I think we can conclude that Baby likes sugar. Duh.

Derek just got back from getting me a delicious hot fudge sundae, so I'm going to go eat it now! YUMMMMM!!!!!! :)

1 comment: