Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Freebirthing...

Oh. My. Goodness.  

I'm watching a show right now called Freebirthing on Discovery Health, where women deliver their babies in their own homes, without the help of midwives, doctors, nurses, etc... completely unassisted.  It just seems so risky to me - what if something goes wrong?  What if the mom starts to hemorrhage?  What if the cord is wrapped around the baby's neck?  What if you deliver the placenta first?  Of course women have delivered babies without medical assistance all throughout history, but it was very dangerous for both mom and baby.  It just seems like an unnecessary risk to do it without any help, in my opinion. 

The show followed 3 ladies, 2 in Great Britain and 1 in Colorado.  1 of the ladies in GB delivered in under an hour and barely said one word during the entire labor (I couldn't believe it!).  The other 2 ladies appeared to be in more pain, but still had relatively short deliveries with only their significant other helping.  And by helping I mean waiting nearby to catch the baby.  I will say, it was amazing to see what these ladies did.  But all I know is that I want a doctor and nurses AND an epidural.  Please!

No comments:

Post a Comment