Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tour of Birthing Hospital


Derek and I went on a tour of the birthing center at our hospital yesterday, and it was great. We saw a delivery suite (pictured to the right), a post-partum suite, the nursery, waiting rooms, NICU... we didn't get to see any of the operating rooms where they do the c-sections, but that's okay, I don't plan to go in there anyway. Unless it's absolutely necessary, of course.

The birthing center looked nice, not too much of a "hospital" feel. The labor/delivery/recovery rooms have jacuzzi's, tv's with DVD/VCR's, Wi-Fi for laptops, a pull out bed for my "support person" (aka HUBBY)... not too shabby! They also have room service so we can eat whenever we're hungry, just like a hotel. Yumm. There are no set visiting hours which means guests can visit anytime they want...er, we want, I guess. The tour guide said she's seen guests show up at 2am! Crazy. I think I'll just nip that idea in the bud though- no visitors at 2am, please! :)

They have a really tight infant security system, which is great. Babies are tagged with wrist and ankle bands that match Mom and Dad's wrist bands, security sensors are placed on their umbilical cords until we're discharged, they are footprinted and photographed and the whole birthing center has a state-of-the-art surveillance system. It's really impressive. I guess you can't be too careful nowadays.

Now that we've actually seen where Baby will be born, I think it's finally starting to sink in that this is REAL. Even though I can feel Baby moving around and we've seen the sonogram pictures, actually being in a delivery room made me feel all sorts of things... excited, nervous, overwhelmed. I cannot wait to hold our little one. I'm apprehensive about the labor. I feel like there is so much left to do, that we're not prepared yet. I guess these feelings are normal though. I'm sure everything will come together just fine!

We have our final ultrasound tomorrow and we are so excited. Can't wait to see our little Baby on the Doppler screen for the last time before delivery!

No comments:

Post a Comment