Sunday, January 18, 2009

Week 22

Watch what you say -- baby is now able to hear outside noise from down in the womb. Studies show that baby finds gentle music and your own voice most soothing. Nipples are starting to sprout, and that little face is fully formed. And, baby's starting to settle into sleep cycles, snoozing about 12 to 14 hours a day. It shouldn't be hard to figure out when -- just pay attention to those kicks as they start and stop.
(thebump.com)

At 11 inches (the length of a spaghetti squash) and almost 1 pound, your baby is starting to look like a miniature newborn. His lips, eyelids, and eyebrows are becoming more distinct, and he's even developing tiny tooth buds beneath his gums. His eyes have formed, but his irises (the colored part of the eye) still lack pigment. If you could see inside your womb, you'd be able to spot the fine hair (lanugo) that covers his body and the deep wrinkles on his skin, which he'll sport until he adds a padding of fat to fill them in. Inside his belly, his pancreas - essential for the production of some important hormones - is developing steadily.
(babycenter.com)

Almost forgot to update today! It's hard to believe that there is a ~10-11 inch baby in my belly... although based on the size of my belly, I guess it's not. I'll add a "week 22" belly shot tomorrow. I guess I sort of match the above picture from babycenter.com. It's funny though - when I feel kicks, I still picture just a little 5 inch baby swimming around, knocking into my organs. Baby is only going to get bigger! :)

Derek and I had a nice weekend together. The weather here in Cypress was pleasant- sunny, upper 60's. We did boring things like grocery shopping, cleaned our apartment, went for a workout... I guess we should enjoy these "boring" things while it's just the two of us. Once this summer rolls around and we have our little bundle of joy, it will be more difficult to just quickly run to the store, or squeeze in a quick workout. Not that I'm complaining. We are both getting more and more excited to have our little one join us.

Our 3rd ultrasound appointment is this Wednesday. Hopefully Baby will cooperate with the ultrasound tech so she can get good measurements. I think this time around should be great because Baby has grown a ton since the last one, and I feel the occasional kick/poke/shove above my belly button now, so there should be no reason for Baby to be hanging around down low. Can't wait to see our peanut again.

On a side note, I just need to take a moment to mention how wonderful my husband is. He helps me clean, he takes care of me when I don't feel well, and he goes out to get me a hot fudge sundae when I oh-so-timidly ask for one :) What a wonderful man I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment